Saturday, January 16, 2016

Redeployment - Phil Kay

I'm not one to read war stories, or biographies for that matter. I really am not enthusiastic about or enjoy anything related to war, so this book would never have been something I would have picked up on my own. We were looking for a new book for the common read program and so I picked the most unlikely book to me so that I could broaden my range (also the other books did not seem that exciting). Trying something new, something unfamiliar is not something we often chose to do willingly. This was extra motivation. I had about a week and a half to read it. Deadlines.

I have so much to say about this book, but it is hard to do so without giving it all up. A few things about the book: it is a bunch of "short stories", it is full of military talk/ jargon, and lastly the language used by soldiers is often colorful, so do expect the "F-bomb" often. Last but not least this is a very adult book, graphic, raw, brutal, honest. Not for the weak of heart. On the other hand it is great because there is a lot we can learn from it through discussion.

The first chapter is about marines who shot dogs on purpose. There is one chapter dedicated to courtesans if you get my meaning. There was a chapter dedicated to how money was used to manage the chaos of what was Iraq, the War in Iraq, the politics behind it all. There was a chapter on how it felt to come back and how women in your life and out of your life, perceived you. There was a chapter on going back to school as a veteran (vet), and how various people reacted, how vets viewed people...

There is so much to discuss here, as I mentioned earlier so it is a great book for reintegration of vets into school etc. This book also addresses the reality behind war, so its great for people who want to join the army but are not sure.  This book addresses the complexities of war, great for discussions on those who have made up their minds on which side of the fence they stand (anti-war or pro-war etc.). Lastly the casualties of war, which are the so called "war heroes" themselves and how it impacts everyone. It is something we all need to address and discuss as a society after Vietnam war, WWII etc. We needed to adjust to the heroes coming back, the victims, the refugees back then and we need to face the realities now. We must face it eventually, or we are denying a huge truth. Even when we did not support the war we are some way a part of it. I think this ties in with studies in Geography and existentialism in someway: although we think imaginary lines in the ground divide us, we are all connected.

This book leads to a lot of deep realizations. This was another book I read while working out,  and lead me to be choking up tears or gasping while running at full speed. This is a book for quiet time, to reflect, to digest the horrors. This is a book in which you are willing to hear the truth, and to take it in and know these things happen. A book that will way heavy, on the conscience and make you want to do something about it. But what? Where do we start?

This book is not entertaining, there is no plot, the characters are all different yet all the same. Yes I am going deep here. Thought provoking - hell yeah. Writing style - fuck yeah. Recommend... well its up to you.

Plot: 7/10
Entertainment: 5/10
Characters: 9/10
Writing Style: 9/10
Thought Provoking: 9/10
Recommend: 8/10



Lines I loved:

"She's been Muslim for like three days".
"My father thinks Islam is the religion of poor blacks."
"Where the Army was going to kill all those people you've been mistaken for. And you get to watch."
"For me the hardest thing is taking off the wedding rings."
"...he shot the kid..."

More great lines in this book. I suggest if you want to know more, read it. Yes a lot of these are rather instigatory if not politically incorrect at some level. Like I said it is not entertaining but educational, eye opening, and something we need to talk about to make this a better world for the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment