Saturday, January 16, 2016

Paper Towns - John Greene

This book is now a movie, but I did read it before the movie was released. I am not sure why I picked it up, but perhaps it was the interesting premise. Interesting observation I read two books in which the protagonist has the same name - Quentin. This is one of them (the other being The Magicians Series). So Quentin is totally crushing his childhood friend Margo Roth Spiegelman, who like him have all grown up. So one night of senior year of high school she crawls in his window and they both have a fun night. The next day she is gone, but she has left clues for him.

Its a great young adult novel book, but as an adult and an ex-student of psychology, there seems to be some depression, and other mental illnesses, reflected here. It would be an interesting study. Once again Plath, Whitman, and some other classics are referred to. We learn more about these classics, as the mystery unfolds, and as the secrets of that hallowed night are revealed.

I liked a few lines in the book which might make you interested in it too. Here are a few quotes from it.

"This was the first time in my life that so many things would never happen again."
"She reads the Whitman and highlights 'I tramp a perpetual journey'."
 One of my favorites- "The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of the sentence." Is that not the beauty of English.
"I had been imagining her without listening, without knowing that she made as poor a window as I did."
"Someone who might read travel books to escape having to live in the town that so many people escape to. Someone who- because no one thought she was a person - had no one really to talk to."

A road trip is also in the book, and the build up to the end is really great. I am not sure if I was happy with the ending or not, then again it is YA. I would recommend it to those looking for a light, yet deep read, something with a happy ending which will leave you smiling. This book will make you want to explore the classics like Whitman after this by the way.

I hope to catch the movie too sometime as it hits Netflix.


Plot: 7/10
Entertainment: 8/10
Characters: 9/10
Writing Style: 8/10
Thought Provoking: 9/10
Recommend: 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment